Suffolk is a city in the state of Virginia, in the United States. Like other cities in the country, Suffolk offers its residents a trash collection program through which the citizens can get rid of their daily household trash, recyclables, hazardous waste and bulky items.
Following are the details about the Suffolk trash pickup schedule.
Suffolk Trash Schedule
Trash collection occurs every week in Suffolk. The collection days, however, are different from place to place. For example, if one street has a collection on Wednesday, the other might have the same week collection taking place on Tuesday or any other week day.
You can have your complete trash schedule and garbage collection days checked from this trash collection map:
Collection starts at 7 am on your pickup day, so you have to place the carts before this time on your trash collection day and after 5 pm the day before refuse pickup.
Suffolk Trash Collection Holidays
Following is the complete holiday trash schedule for the city of Suffolk.
- New Year’s Day – January 2, 2023 – No change in schedule.
- Martin Luther King Day – January 16, 2023 – No change in schedule.
- Presidents Day – February 20, 2023 – No change in schedule.
- Memorial Day – May 29, 2023 – No change in schedule.
- Juneteenth – June 19, 2023 – No change in schedule.
- Independence Day – July 4, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Labor Day – September 4, 2023 – No change in schedule.
- Columbus Day – October 9, 2023 – No change in schedule.
- Election Day – November 7, 2023 – No change in schedule.
- Veterans Day – November 11, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Thanksgiving Day – November 23, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Christmas Day – December 25, 2023 – No change in schedule.
Recycling Schedule in Suffolk
Recycling waste is collected after every other week in Suffolk. The collection days are the same as your trash collection days.
You can check out the complete monthly schedule from this recycling page: https://www.suffolkva.us/DocumentCenter/View/7643/2023-TFC-Recycling-Calendar-
To know about recycling drop off location, click here: https://www.suffolkva.us/1687/Recycling-Drop-Off-Location
Recyclables include newspaper, office paper and magazines, plastic bottles, envelopes and wrapping paper, construction paper, junk mail, books and paper bags, catalogs, glass jars and bottles, food cans etc.
Suffolk Bulk Pickup Schedule
The residents can get rid of their bulky waste by putting the heavy items at the curbside along with regular trash on their refuse collection days. The city allows 12 bulk pickups per year for free.
If you want to get rid of more large items in one year, you will have to pay a fee of $47.50 or more, depending upon the size of the object you are placing at the curbside.
Suffolk Yard Waste Collection
Yard waste is also included in bulk waste in the city of Suffolk and can be disposed of by placing the items at the curbside on your regular trash collection days. You can get rid of 12 bundles of 12 cubic yard waste in a year for free. Additional pickups will result in an extra fee.
Yard waste includes tree branches, leaves, grass, brushes and other vegetative materials. Dirt, rocks and sand, cement and concrete, wood to which glue is added, recyclable items, animal waste and dead animals should not be added to yard waste.
Note that the collection of yard waste will also start at 7 am on your pickup day. You can place the bags or carts after 5 pm the day before collection till 7 am on the day of collection.
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal in Suffolk
Household hazardous waste can not be picked up from the curbside in Suffolk and one must take these items to a drop-off center or a landfill.
To get rid of hazardous waste items, Suffolk residents can go to the SPSA landfill, located at 1 Bob Foeller Drive, Suffolk, VA 23434. You can visit the landfill 12 times in a year for free.
Hazardous items are the ones which can catch fire easily or which contain toxic chemicals dangerous for human health. Some of the examples are batteries and cells, glues and adhesives, furniture polish, swimming pool chemicals, brake fluid, photographic chemicals, medications, shoe polish, paints, pesticides and insecticides, fertilizers, varnishes etc.
Suffolk Trash Guidelines
Following are some trash guidelines for the Suffolk residents.
- Do not overfill the carts. This may result in the trash being thrown on the streets which will litter your area.
- Trash carts must be placed having a minimum of three feet distance with each other.
- Throwing garbage on the streets and roads is not allowed and should not be practiced by the citizens.
- Wash and dry the containers on a regular basis to ensure proper cleanliness.
- In case your trash or recycling cart has been broken or if you want an additional cart, you can request for one by calling at 757-514-7630.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Recap – Trash Pickup in Suffolk VA
Garbage and recycling collection in Suffolk takes place on a regular basis, however, the schedule changes a little during the weeks of some public holidays like Veterans Day, Independence Day, and Thanksgiving Day and. Bulk and yard waste pickup takes place on the same day as your trash collection day.