Durham (zip code: 27701 – 27722) is a city near Raleigh, Winston Salem, and Greensboro in the state of North Carolina, in the United States. Like other cities in the country, Durham offers its residents a trash collection program through which the citizens can get rid of their daily household trash, recyclables, hazardous waste and bulky items.
Following are the details about the Durham trash schedule.
Durham Trash Pickup Schedule
Trash collection takes place once every week in Durham. However, the collection days vary from street to street.
Moreover, the curbside collection starts at 5 am on your pickup day, so you have to place the carts at the curbside before this time, and remove the carts from the curbside within 24 hours.
You can have your complete Durham trash schedule and garbage collection days checked from this map:
Some national holidays might alter your trash pickup schedule.
Durham Holiday Trash Schedule
Here is the complete holiday trash schedule for the city of Durham. Note that not all the holidays will affect your pickup schedule. Only those national holidays which fall on your pickup day will bring a change to your trash pickup days.
- New Year’s Day – January 1, 2023 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Martin Luther King Day – January 16, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Presidents Day – February 20, 2023 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Patriots Day – April 17, 2023 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Memorial Day – May 29, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Juneteenth – June 19, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Independence Day – July 4, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Labor Day – September 4, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Columbus Day – October 9, 2023 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Veterans Day – November 11, 2023 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Thanksgiving Day – November 23, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Christmas Day – December 25, 2023 – No trash or recycling collection takes place.
Durham Recycling Schedule
Recycling takes place every other week in Durham, on the same days as your garbage collection days.
To know your complete yearly recycling schedule, check out this recycling collection tool. Enter your address and a complete calendar containing the pickup days schedule will appear in front of you.
Recyclables include newspaper, office paper and magazines, plastic bottles, envelopes and wrapping paper, construction paper, junk mail, books and paper bags, catalogs, glass jars and bottles, food cans etc.
Durham Bulk Pickup Schedule
Bulk waste pickup does not have any specific schedule. Instead, the residents have to schedule an appointment in order to get bulky items picked up.
Mail them department here to schedule a bulk pickup. One pickup per week will not get any fee charges for the citizens, however, the pickup must not be of three heavy items.
Durham Yard Waste Collection Schedule
Yard waste is collected every week in the city of Durham, on the next day of your garbage pickup day.
One cart of yard waste is collected at the curbside for a yearly fee of $90. Additional carts will cost you additional fee. Check out your complete yard waste schedule from here.
Yard waste includes tree branches, leaves, grass, brushes and other vegetative materials. Dirt, rocks and sand, cement and concrete, wood to which glue is added, recyclable items, animal waste and dead animals should not be added to yard waste.
Durham Hazardous Waste Disposal
Household hazardous waste can not be collected from the curbside, instead, one has to take the hazardous items to the Household Hazardous Waste Center which is located at 2115 E Club Boulevard, Durham, NC 27704.
Hazardous items are the ones which can catch fire easily or which contain toxic chemicals dangerous for human health. Some of the examples are batteries and cells, glues and adhesives, furniture polish, swimming pool chemicals, brake fluid, photographic chemicals, medications, shoe polish, paints, pesticides and insecticides, fertilizers, varnishes etc.
City of Durham Trash Guidelines
Following are some trash guidelines for the Durham residents.
- Do not overfill the carts. This may result in the trash being thrown on the streets which will litter your area.
- Trash carts must be placed having a minimum of three feet distance with each other.
- Throwing garbage on the streets and roads is not allowed and should not be practiced by the citizens.
- Wash and dry the containers on a regular basis to ensure proper cleanliness.
- In case of any query or if you need any information regarding the Durham trash schedule, call the Durham One Call by dialing 919-560-1200.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Trash Schedule in Durham
Garbage and recycling collection in Durham takes place on a regular basis, however, the schedule changes a little during the weeks of some public holidays like New Year’s Day, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day and some other city holidays.
Bulk waste is collected by appointment, and hazardous waste must be taken to the collection center. For more information, call 919-560-1200.
See What To Do If You Miss Trash Day in Durham.