DeSoto (zip code: 75115, 75123) is a city near Grand Prairie, Flower Mound, Grapevine, McKinney, City of Coppell, Plano, City of Dallas and Fort Worth in the state of Texas, in the United States. Like other cities in the country, DeSoto offers its residents a trash collection program through which the citizens can get rid of their daily household trash, recyclables, hazardous waste and bulky items.
Following are the details about the city of DeSoto trash pickup schedule.
City of DeSoto Trash Pickup Schedule
Trash is picked up two times a week in the city of DeSoto. However, the pickup days vary from region to region. Here’s the breakdown of pickup days depending upon the area you live in.
- If you live on the eastern side of Hampton Road, your garbage pickup days will be Monday and Thursday.
- If you live on the western side of Hampton Road, your garbage pickup days will be Tuesday and Friday.
If you are still not sure about your garbage collection days, you can simply enter your address by clicking on the map:
Also, the garbage pickup starts at 7 am on your collection days, so you have to make sure you place the carts at the curbside before this time.
DeSoto Trash Holiday Schedule
Here is the complete holiday trash schedule for the city of DeSoto.
- New Year’s Day – January 2, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Martin Luther King Day – January 16, 2023 – No change in curbside trash and recycling schedule.
- Presidents Day – February 20, 2023 – No change in curbside trash and recycling schedule.
- Patriots Day – April 17, 2023 – No change in curbside trash and recycling schedule.
- Memorial Day – May 29, 2023 – No change in curbside trash and recycling schedule.
- Juneteenth – June 19, 2023 – No change in curbside trash and recycling schedule.
- Independence Day – July 4, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Labor Day – September 4, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Columbus Day – October 9, 2023 – No change in curbside trash and recycling schedule.
- Veterans Day – November 11, 2023 – No change in curbside trash and recycling schedule.
- Thanksgiving Day – November 23, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Christmas Day – December 25, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
DeSoto Recycling Schedule
Recycling collection takes place once every week in DeSoto – on every Wednesday. To know your complete schedule, enter your address details here: https://www.ci.desoto.tx.us/552/TrashRecycling-Information
Moreover, the curbside recycling collection takes place between 6 am and 6 pm, so you have to have your carts placed at the curbside during these hours.
Recyclables include newspaper, office paper and magazines, plastic bottles, envelopes and wrapping paper, construction paper, junk mail, books and paper bags, catalogs, glass jars and bottles, food cans etc.
City of DeSoto Bulk Pickup Schedule
Bulky waste items are those which are very heavy and large and hence cannot be placed inside regular trash cans. These items include mattresses, plumbing fixtures, refrigerators, furniture, hot water heaters, stoves, washers, dryers and lawn mowers etc.
Since your trash is collected twice a week, you can place the bulk waste on the second pickup day of the week if it weighs less than 50 lbs.
If the heavy waste weighs more than 50 lbs, you can place the items at the curbside and they will be picked up by the government within 10 business days.
DeSoto Yard Waste Collection
Yard waste includes tree branches, leaves, grass, brushes and other vegetative materials. Dirt, rocks and sand, cement and concrete, wood to which glue is added, recyclable items, animal waste and dead animals should not be added to yard waste.
There are no specific days for the pickup of yard waste in DeSoto city. In order to dispose of yard waste, all that the DeSoto residents have to do is to place the yard waste in clear blue bags at the curbside, and the government will have the waste picked up within the next 10 week days.
DeSoto Hazardous Waste Disposal
Household hazardous waste can not be picked up from the curbside in DeSoto. Instead , one has to take the items to a landfill. If some of the products are not accepted at the landfill as well, then you need to take them to the Dallas County Household Hazardous Waste Network.
Know more about this collection center from here: http://www.desototexas.gov/DocumentCenter/View/5491/HHW-Flyer-Page?bidId=
Hazardous items are the ones which can catch fire easily or which contain toxic chemicals dangerous for human health. Some of the examples are batteries and cells, glues and adhesives, furniture polish, swimming pool chemicals, brake fluid, photographic chemicals, medications, shoe polish, paints, pesticides and insecticides, fertilizers, varnishes etc.
City of DeSoto Trash Guidelines
Following are the trash guidelines for the city of DeSoto.
- Do not overfill the carts. This may result in the trash being thrown on the streets which will litter your area.
- Trash carts must be placed having a minimum of three feet distance with each other.
- Throwing garbage on the streets and roads is not allowed and should not be practiced by the citizens.
- Wash and dry the containers on a regular basis to ensure proper cleanliness.
- Call at (972) 274-CITY or (972) 230-9600 in case you miss your trash day, or if you need any kind of information regarding the DeSoto trash schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Recap – City of DeSoto Trash Pickup Schedule
Garbage and recycling collection in DeSoto takes place on a regular basis, however, the schedule changes a little during the weeks of some public holidays like New Year’s Day, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day and some other city holidays.
For more information regarding the city of DeSoto trash pickup schedule, call (972) 274-CITY or (972) 230-9600.