Dallas, a city in Texas, USA, is also part of the trash schedule program, just like the other cities of the United States. Each kind of waste including solid and liquid waste, bulk trash, recyclable items and donatable goods are collected at their own collection days and a fixed schedule is provided to the residents.
Cities Near Dallas:
All the information about the trash collection program, including the allowed waste, area-wise schedule, and other details have been provided in the following article.
City of Dallas Trash Pickup
Every area of the city of Dallas has its own schedule, so a generalized pickup time can’t be given.
But if you want to search your area’s garbage schedule, here is the official website where you can search your trash pickup time by entering your address https://dallascityhall.com/departments/sanitation/Pages/Schedule.aspx.
It is advised that you place the trash before midnight as the collection starts the morning of the next day nearly at 7 a.m.
Public Holidays to keep in mind
Following are the public holidays which will affect your trash pickup schedule and here’s how.
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday November 23rd: The garbage pickup for this day will take place a day before i.e. on Wednesday 22nd. No pickup will take place on Thursday, and Friday onwards will follow the same schedule. Moreover, McCommas Bluff Landfill and Bachman Transfer Station will remain closed on Thursday whereas Sanitation Administrative Offices will remain closed on Thursday as well as on Friday.
- Christmas Day – Monday December 25th: No pickup will take place on Monday, but Sunday and Tuesday will follow the same schedule. Moreover, McCommas Bluff Landfill, Bachman Transfer Station and Sanitation Administrative Offices will remain closed on Christmas Day.
- New Year’s Day – Monday January 1st – No pickup will take place on the New Year’s Day, so the residents should either remove all the waste a day before or the day after the holiday. The schedule will be the same as before on Sunday and Tuesday. Moreover, McCommas Bluff Landfill, Bachman Transfer Station, and Sanitation Administrative Offices will remain closed on Monday 1st January.
What not to throw in trash cans
Following items should not be thrown in regular garbage waste:
- Hot ashes
- Yard waste
- Industrial waste like concrete and cement
- Rocks and stones
- Clothing items
- Paints and varnishes
- Cooking oil
- House cleaning products
- Antifreeze substances
- Large metal pieces
Recycling items are collected one day a week. The criteria of placing the recyclable items is the same as regular trash. The items one can give for recycling include dry paper products like newspapers and magazines, cardboard boxes or other things made out of cardboard, glass jars, small glass items, plastic bottles, containers, metal cans (emptied).
Plastic bags should also be recycled but instead of throwing them in the container, one must take them to the nearest drop-off location.
City of Dallas Bulky Items pickup
Large items which cannot be thrown in the trash cans are included in bulk waste. A maximum of 10 cubic yards of bulk waste is allowed to be thrown at a time. Items greater than 10 cubic yards can be collected by requesting the department by calling at 311.
Bulk collection does not occur on specific days, instead, one has to schedule a collection every time he wants his bulk items to get picked up.
Following items can be thrown in bulk trash.
- Small tree shrubs
- Other household items
- Appliances free of refrigerants
How to get a new garbage can delivered?
Another garbage cart can be ordered online if you lose the previous one or due to any other reason. Just visit the https://dallascrm.force.com/public/request/SPSVSNOT/location website, enter your house location and enter the details about the cart. However, you’ll need to pay for the order. Each container costs $13.85 which will be added in the monthly fee.
Trash cans come in different sizes, all you need to do is to check the details from the link given above. Recycling cans, the blue carts, can be requested for free from the department, however. Same web address can be used if you want to get your already prepared trash can repaired.
Instructions for the residents of Dallas
Residents of the city of Dallas should have the following things in mind.
- Your trash cans should be closed from all sides so that they don’t litter the ground.
- Trash containers should have a 3 feet distance from each other and also from other blockages like trees, utility boxes, gas meters etc.
- Throwing garbage on streets is considered illegal and one can be fined if he does so.
- As a citizen, it is your responsibility to inform the officials if somebody is throwing trash on the streets.