A trash disposal gadget, also called a waste disposal unit, is a machine that runs on electricity and is set up under the kitchen sink, positioned between the sink’s pipe and the trap.
This device breaks down leftover food into tiny pieces, usually smaller than 2 mm in size, so that it can easily flow through the plumbing system. The device has a reset option, but most people have no idea where the reset button is on a garbage disposal.
Garbage Disposal and Reset Button
Every garbage disposal has a reset button and this button comes to the rescue every time your garbage disposal is not working. Is your garbage disposal clogged or is not working properly? Try pressing this magical button as it might reset your disposal completely and the disposal unit might start working pretty fine after it.
Components of Garbage Disposal
Following are the components of a garbage disposal.
- Motor: Motor is the main component of a garbage disposal. When you turn the motor on, it starts working to grind and crush the stuff.
- Grinding Chamber: Grinding chamber is the place where all the food comes in order to be chopped and be converted into various tiny pieces. Note that not all kinds of waste should be thrown in a garbage disposal.
- Impellers: These are like the blades which are used in the Grinding Chamber in order to grind all the food. They spin rapidly thanks to the motor, and all the food material is chopped.
- Hopper Chamber: Not all of the food you send through the sink is grinded at once. A little portion of food enters the grinding chamber turn by turn. Before this, the food waste waits in the Hopper chamber.
- Reset Button: The reset button is a very important part of the garbage disposal. In case the material is clogged or if the disposal is not working properly, the reset button is to be pressed then.
Common Garbage Disposal Problems
Below are the few problems which people normally face:
Jammed Disposal Unit
Your garbage disposal unit can get jammed at times, which may be because of some certain items you tried to dispose of or any other reason. Whatever thing is stuck, you can use a wrench to open the disposal and unjam it. Make sure the disposal is turned off before you do that. Also, do not let these things in the disposal:
- Coffee grounds
- Seafood shells
- Egg shells
- Large amounts of items that contain start like potatoes and rice
- Outer layers of some vegetables
- Fruit pits
Noises from your Garbage Disposal
Are strange noises coming out from your garbage disposal? For this, it is highly possible that something is stuck in the disposal which needs to be removed.
Open the disposal up carefully and remove the unnecessary items. If the voice still doesn’t go away, then it is time to call a plumber for help.
The Sink Starts Leaking
Is water coming out of your sink? That’s horrible, isn’t it? In this case, you need to tighten the connections or replace any damaged parts.
If you’re not sure, it’s better to ask someone who knows about these things, like an experienced person.
Disposal doesn’t Work
Even when you press the reset button and your disposal does not work, look for the circuit breaker. In case it still does not work, you have to consult a professional.
Finding Reset Button on a Garbage Disposal
Where is the reset button on a garbage disposal? In most of the garbage disposals, the reset button is located at the bottom of the unit (as seen in the picture below), but it may be in a different place in some devices.
Some of the disposal also have the reset button near the place where the company logo is printed. Remember not to do anything with the button or the disposal unless you have turned off the disposal.
What is a Reset Button Used for?
A garbage disposal’s reset button is used to reset all the machinery and start it from scratch. If your disposal is not working or has some item clogged in, you can press the reset button as it might help the machine get back to normal.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What tool is used to reset garbage disposal?
If you are looking for tools to reset a garbage disposal, a wrench can be used to open the device up. But you should do so with the power cut off from this machinery.
Do all garbage disposals have a reset button?
Yes, almost all the garbage disposals have a reset button which is normally located at the lower side of the disposal.
Reset Button on a Garbage Disposal
Garbage disposals are used to chop food into smaller pieces for their better disposal.
These devices are run through electricity and they have a small button on them called the reset button which clears the issues and helps the unit perform its job smoothly.
The button is usually found at the bottom of the garbage disposal, but the location may vary.