West Des Moines (zip code: 50061) is a city near Cedar Rapids and Bettendorf in the state of Iowa, in the United States. Like other cities in the country, West Des Moines offers its residents a trash collection program through which the citizens can get rid of their daily household trash, recyclables, hazardous waste and bulky items.
Following are the details about the West Des Moines trash schedule.
West Des Moines Trash Pickup Schedule
Trash collection takes place once every week in West Des Moines. However, the collection days vary from street to street.
Moreover, the curbside collection starts at 6 am on your pickup day, so you have to place the carts at the curbside before this time. Also do not place the carts at the curbside before 5 pm on the previous day.
You can have your complete trash schedule and garbage collection days checked from this trash collection map:
Some national holidays might alter your trash pickup schedule, so you can check the holiday schedule from here.
West Des Moines Holiday Trash Schedule
Here is the complete holiday trash schedule for the city of West Des Moines.
- New Year’s Day – January 1, 2024 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Martin Luther King Day – January 15, 2024 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Presidents Day – February 10, 2024 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Patriots Day – April 15, 2024 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Memorial Day – May 27, 2024 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Juneteenth – June 19, 2024 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Independence Day – July 4, 2024 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Labor Day – September 2, 2024 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Columbus Day – October 14, 2024 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Veterans Day – November 11, 2024 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Thanksgiving Day – November 28, 2024 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Christmas Day – December 25, 2024 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
West Des Moines Recycling Schedule
Recycling takes place every other week in West Des Moines, on the same days as your garbage collection days. To know your complete yearly recycling schedule, check out this recycling collection map: https://www.wdm.iowa.gov/government/public-services/solid-waste-yard-waste-recycling/recycle
Recyclables include newspaper, office paper and magazines, plastic bottles, envelopes and wrapping paper, construction paper, junk mail, books and paper bags, catalogs, glass jars and bottles, food cans etc.
West Des Moines Bulk Pickup Schedule
Bulky waste items are those which are very heavy and large and hence cannot be placed inside regular trash cans. These items include mattresses, furniture, carpets and rugs etc.
The residents of West Des Moines can get their bulky items picked up by attaching stickers and placing additional boxes at the curbside on their pickup days. For more information, check out this page: https://www.mwatoday.com/waste-recycling/garbage/extra-trash-large-items/
West Des Moines Yard Waste Collection
Yard waste includes tree branches, leaves, grass, brushes and other vegetative materials. Dirt, rocks and sand, cement and concrete, wood to which glue is added, recyclable items, animal waste and dead animals should not be added to yard waste.
Yard waste is collected every week in West Des Moines, with the same schedule as your garbage collection schedule. Check out your yard waste collection schedule from here.
West Des Moines Hazardous Waste Disposal
Household hazardous waste can not be collected from the curbside, instead, one has to take the hazardous items to the drop-off center located at the Metro Northwest Transfer Station, near I80/35 and Hwy. 141 in Grimes. This must be done only on the household hazardous waste collection days. You can know more about the collection days by checking out the city’s website.
Hazardous items are the ones which can catch fire easily or which contain toxic chemicals dangerous for human health. Some of the examples are batteries and cells, glues and adhesives, furniture polish, swimming pool chemicals, brake fluid, photographic chemicals, medications, shoe polish, paints, pesticides and insecticides, fertilizers, varnishes etc.
City of West Des Moines Trash Guidelines
Following are some trash guidelines for the West Des Moines residents.
- Do not overfill the carts. This may result in the trash being thrown on the streets which will litter your area.
- Trash carts must be placed having a minimum of three feet distance with each other.
- Throwing garbage on the streets and roads is not allowed and should not be practiced by the citizens.
- Wash and dry the containers on a regular basis to ensure proper cleanliness.
- In case of any query or if you need any information regarding the West Des Moines trash schedule, call the city’s Metro Waste Authority by dialing 515-244-0021.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I schedule a large item pickup in Des Moines?
Large items will be picked up in Des Moines if you place additional boxes on your collection day along with the bulk pickup stickers.
Which waste company does West Des Moines contract with in order to dispose of our trash and yard waste?
If you are a West Des Moines resident, your trash and yard waste will be picked up by Metro Waste Authority as they have their contract with the city.
West Des Moines Trash Schedule
Garbage and recycling collection in West Des Moines takes place on a regular basis, however, the schedule changes a little during the weeks of some public holidays like New Year’s Day, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day and some other city holidays.
Bulk waste is collected by appointment, and hazardous waste must be taken to the transfer station. For more information, call 515-244-0021.
See What To Do If You Miss Trash Day in West Des Moines.