Shawnee County (zip code: 66614) is a county near Lawrence and City of Olathe in the state of Kansas, in the United States. Like other counties in the country, Shawnee County offers its residents a trash collection program through which the citizens can get rid of their daily household trash, recyclables, hazardous waste and bulky items.
Following are the details about the Shawnee County trash schedule.
Shawnee County Trash Pickup Schedule
Trash collection takes place once every week in Shawnee County. However, the collection days vary from street to street. Moreover, the curbside collection starts at 7 am on your pickup day, so you have to place the carts at the curbside before this time.
You can have your complete Shawnee County trash schedule and garbage collection days checked from this trash collection map:
Some national holidays might alter your trash pickup schedule, so you can check the holiday schedule from here.
Shawnee County Holiday Trash Schedule
Here is the complete holiday trash schedule for Shawnee County. Note that no yard waste and bulky item collection will take place in the holiday weeks. Check out the complete holiday pickup details from here.
- New Year’s Day – January 2, 2023 – No collection takes place. The pickup schedule is changed for the holiday week.
- Martin Luther King Day – January 16, 2023 – No collection takes place. The pickup schedule is changed for the holiday week.
- Presidents Day – February 20, 2023 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Patriots Day – April 17, 2023 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Memorial Day – May 29, 2023 – No collection takes place. The pickup schedule is changed for the holiday week.
- Juneteenth – June 19, 2023 – No collection takes place. The pickup schedule is changed for the holiday week.
- Independence Day – July 4, 2023 – No collection takes place. The pickup schedule is changed for the holiday week.
- Labor Day – September 4, 2023 – No collection takes place. The pickup schedule is changed for the holiday week.
- Columbus Day – October 9, 2023 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Veterans Day – November 11, 2023 – No collection takes place. The pickup schedule is changed for the holiday week.
- Thanksgiving Day – November 23, 2023 – No collection takes place. The pickup schedule is changed for the holiday week.
- Christmas Day – December 25, 2023 – No collection takes place. The pickup schedule is changed for the holiday week.
Shawnee County Recycling Schedule
Recycling takes place every other week in Shawnee County, and the collection is divided in two parts.. Half of the city has recyclables collected in red week, while the other half gets its pickup day in blue week.
Here is the complete recycling calendar. To know your complete yearly recycling schedule, check out this recycling collection map: https://sncoks-gis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/InformationLookup/index.html?appid=f71763c63e6e4ba291e1509a6ce281f6
Recyclables include newspaper, office paper and magazines, plastic bottles, envelopes and wrapping paper, construction paper, junk mail, books and paper bags, catalogs, glass jars and bottles, food cans etc.
Shawnee County Bulk Pickup
Bulky waste items are those which are very heavy and large and hence cannot be placed inside regular trash cans. These items include mattresses, furniture, tree limbs and bags of leaves etc.
Bulk pickup takes place every week in Shawnee County, however, only one bulky item per week is collected without any additional fee.
For more information about the Shawnee County heavy item pickup, check out the city’s website: https://www.snco.us/sw/service.asp#:~:text=Customers%20can%20put%20one%20bulky,on%20the%20regular%20trash%20day
Shawnee County Yard Waste Collection
Yard waste includes tree branches, leaves, grass, brushes and other vegetative materials. Dirt, rocks and sand, cement and concrete, wood to which glue is added, recyclable items, animal waste and dead animals should not be added to yard waste.
Yard waste is collected every week in Shawnee County, on the bulk collection days.However, the collection days vary depending upon your weekly schedule.
Check out your yard waste collection schedule from here: https://sncoks-gis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/InformationLookup/index.html?appid=f71763c63e6e4ba291e1509a6ce281f6
The collection takes place on the same days as your garbage collection days.
Shawnee County Hazardous Waste Disposal
Household hazardous waste can not be collected from the curbside, instead, one has to take the hazardous items to the landfill located at 131 NE 46th street, Topeka, KS. This must be done only on the household hazardous waste collection days. You can know more about the collection days by checking out the county’s website.
Hazardous items are the ones which can catch fire easily or which contain toxic chemicals dangerous for human health. Some of the examples are batteries and cells, glues and adhesives, furniture polish, swimming pool chemicals, brake fluid, photographic chemicals, medications, shoe polish, paints, pesticides and insecticides, fertilizers, varnishes etc.
Shawnee County Trash Guidelines
Following are some trash guidelines for the Shawnee County residents.
- Do not overfill the carts. This may result in the trash being thrown on the streets which will litter your area.
- Trash carts must be placed having a minimum of three feet distance with each other.
- Throwing garbage on the streets and roads is not allowed and should not be practiced by the citizens.
- Wash and dry the containers on a regular basis to ensure proper cleanliness.
- In case of any query or if you need any information regarding the Shawnee County trash schedule, call the county’s solid waste department by dialing 785 233 4774.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I dispose of a TV in Shawnee County?
All the electronic items including the TV can be taken to the Hazardous Waste facility in the county for recyling.
What can I recycle in Shawnee County?
The county of Shawnee County recycles metal cans, glass bottles and jars, paper, cartons, and cardboard, plastic bottles, tubs, jugs, and jars etc.
Shawnee County Trash Schedule
Garbage and recycling collection in Shawnee County takes place on a regular basis, however, the schedule changes a little during the weeks of some public holidays like New Year’s Day, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day and some other county holidays.
Bulk waste is collected every week, and hazardous waste must be taken to the landfill on hazardous waste collection days. For more information, call 785 233 4774.
See What To Do If You Miss Trash Day in Shawnee County.