Oklahoma city, like its fellow cities in the USA, provides its residents all kinds of customer services including utility services, trash, recycling and bulk pickup services, street sweeping services etc.
This article mainly focuses on complete information about the Oklahoma city trash schedule.
Oklahoma City Trash Schedule 2023
Trash collection from the curbside takes place once every week in Oklahoma City. However, different regions of OKC have different pickup days. Trash collection starts at 6 am on your pickup day, so your carts must be placed at the curbside at least a little before this time.
Check out your Oklahoma City waste collection day from this trash collection map:
Click on your street or enter your address to find out the curbside garbage collection days. Note that while searching for your address, you do not have to use zip code or your city name.
What to do if you miss Trash day?
In case you miss trash day, visit the city’s website or call at (405) 297-2833 to report a missed pickup. However, you can do this within two days of your designated trash collection day or else you will have to wait for the next garbage collection day.
Read this guide by Mygarbageschedule.com on what to do if you miss the garbage day.
OKC Trash Pickup Holiday Schedule
Following is the complete trash and recycling holiday schedule for the city of Oklahoma.
- Memorial Day – May 29, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to another day, the makeup day.
- Juneteenth – June 19, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to another day, the makeup day.
- Independence Day – July 4, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to another day, the makeup day.
- Labor Day – September 4, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to another day, the makeup day.
- Veterans Day – November 11, 2023 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Thanksgiving Day – November 23, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to another day, the makeup day.
- Day after Thanksgiving Day – November 24, 2023 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- Christmas Day – December 25, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to another day, the makeup day.
- Day after Christmas Day – December 26, 2023 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
- New Year’s Day – January 1st, 2024 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to another day, the makeup day.
- Martin Luther King Day – January 15, 2024 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to another day, the makeup day.
- Memorial Day – May 27, 2024 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to another day, the makeup day.
- Juneteenth – June 19, 2024 – No change in schedule in trash, recycling and yard waste pickup schedule.
OKC Trash Makeup Days
Here is the makeup day schedule for the trash days that are missed due to some public holidays.
|Memorial Day||Wednesday, May 31, 2023|
|Juneteenth||Wednesday, June 21, 2023|
|Independence Day||Wednesday, July 5, 2023|
|Labor Day||Wednesday, September 6, 2023|
|Veterans Day||No change in schedule.|
|Thanksgiving Day||Saturday, November 25, 2023|
|Day after Thanksgiving||No change in schedule.|
|Christmas Day||Wednesday, December 27, 2023|
|Day After Christmas||No change in schedule.|
|New Year’s Day 2024||Wednesday, January 3, 2024|
|Martin Luther King, Jr. Day||Wednesday, January 17, 2024|
|Memorial Day||Wednesday, May 29, 2024|
|Juneteenth||No change in schedule.|
Recycling Schedule in Oklahoma City
Recycling in OKC takes place once after every other week, and the curbside recycling days can be checked out from the city’s collection map. All the recycling material should be placed in the recycling cart before the time of collection.
Recyclables include paper, cardboard, glass bottles and jars, drink and food cartons which have been cleaned, plastic bottles, jugs and containers, and aluminum and steel cans and foils.
OKC Bulk Trash Schedule & Rules
Bulk trash or heavy waste items like furniture mattresses, refrigerators, freezers, carpets, glass and mirrors, small trees etc are picked up from the curbside once a month in Oklahoma city.
However, each pickup must be informed to the crew at least three days before your pickup day. Check out your bulk collection days from here: https://www.okc.gov/departments/utilities/trash-recyling-bulk-waste/bulk-waste-pick-up
Note that items including mattresses, freezers, refrigerators and other appliances containing freons, and basketball goals require special handling. So, you must call at (405) 297-2833 to inform the workers beforehand if you are to dispose of any of these things.
In case you miss bulk pickup on your scheduled day, call at (405) 297-2833 or check out this page. Four cubic yards of bulk waste are included in your monthly service charges, however, additional waste will cost an extra fee in the next month’s bill.
Read How to Get Rid of:
Composting in Oklahoma
Oklahoma city advises its residents to not throw the yard waste, and instead compost the green items like grass clippings, leaves etc. This is how you can compost your yard waste items at home.
- Firstly, in your compost bin, add a 3 to 4 inches layer of dried grass, leaves and all the organic matter you need to compost.
- Secondly, the layer above the first one should consist of 3-4 inches of plant materials, kitchen waste and grass clippings.
- Nothing additional should be added to your compost bins as it may result in the material going to waste.
Oklahoma Hazardous Waste Disposal
Household hazardous products include some kinds of paints, car waxes and chrome polish, carburetor cleaner, diesel fuel, engine degreaser, pesticides and herbicides, automotive products, stains and varnishes, cleaners, polishes etc.
These toxic items are not collected from the curbside and must be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center. Make sure you take your water bill as proof of being an Oklahoma resident.
Things not included in the household hazardous waste are:
- High pressure cylinders
- Radioactive waste
- Computer equipment
- Biomedical waste
- Commercial hazardous waste
These things should be disposed of through a special collection event that takes place at State Fairgrounds. For more information, visit the city’s website.
OKC Free Landfill Day
Don;t know what to do with your household junk waste or want to get rid of alot of waste items at once? Do not worry at all! The city of Oklahoma holds free landfill days every year in which you can get rid of all the disturbing waste items without paying a single penny. Every year, there are two free landfill days, usually in May and September.
You can take advantage of these two free landfill days to get rid of all your yearly extra waste. The second free landfill year in 2023 is on Saturday, September 9th. One can take household garbage, bulk waste like furniture, and yard waste to the landfill. Hazardous waste is NOT allowed at the landfill.
How much is Garbage Bill in OKC?
Following table shows the monthly rate for trash, recyclables, and bulk waste pickup for the coming years.
|Monthly trash, recycling and bulk waste||$24.15||$24.87||$25.62||$26.39||$27.18|
|If the bulk waste exceeds 4 cubic-yard limit||$12.38||$12.75||$13.13||$13.52||$13.93|
|Extra cart fee per cart||$2.25||$2.41||$2.57||$2.73||$2.89|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I contact OKC trash?
You can contact the city of Oklahoma’s customer service for any queries regarding your trash schedule by calling at 405-297-2833 from 8 am to 5 pm on weekdays.
Who picks up trash in OKC?
The Solid Waste Management department of Oklahoma city picks up trash from the curbside once every week, recycling waste once every two weeks, and bulk waste once in a month.
What are the trash rules in OKC?
Place the trash carts before 6 am on the day of your trash collection and keep the carts at a 5 feet distance from any kind of blockage like trees, utility poles, shrubs, mailboxes etc.
How much is trash in Oklahoma City?
The monthly service of trash, recycling and up to 4 cubic yards of bulk waste collection costs $24.87 in 2023.
Oklahoma City Trash Schedule
Trash collection takes place once a week in Oklahoma city, recycling takes place once every other week, and bulk waste is collected once every month. The holidays might alter your pickup day schedule. In this case, your collection will take place on the makeup day.
Yard waste should not be thrown out and must be composted, and hazardous waste materials must be taken to the household hazardous waste collection facility. The landfill can be accessed for free twice every year. For more information, call the city’s customer service department by dialing (405) 297-2833.