One of the counties having the most population in Florida, USA, Hillsborough County manages to keep the streets clean through its strict trash pick up and recycling schedule.
The schedule for sweeping and trash collection is provided by the government and the department notifies whenever there is a change in the schedule. If you are a Hillsborough resident and want to sign up for this program, you need to know the details we are going to mention here.
Hillsborough County Trash Schedule
Trash in Hillsborough County is collected everyday but it doesn’t have to be at a specific time daily, so all you need to do is to fill your bins and place them at the street edges near your houses and then get your trash cans back after they have been emptied.
To schedule your trash pickup or in case of any problem or question, consider calling at the (813) 272-5680 number and you’ll be directed to the waste management department. Same number can be used in order to request a pickup for large items.
Public Holidays to keep in mind
Garbage pickup happens daily on a regular basis except for a few days which are public holidays as per government’s announcement. On the following days, no trash collection will take place, so you have to make sure that you empty your bins the day before.
- January 1st – New Year’s Day
- Third Monday in January – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Last Monday in May – Memorial Day
- June 19th – Juneteenth
- July 4th – Independence Day
- First Monday in September – Labor Day
- Fourth Thursday in November – Thanksgiving Day
- December 25th – Christmas Day
Note that only the mentioned events will have no trash pickup, and the days before and after them will be just like the normal days.
Search your schedule by address
The best thing about signing up to the trash collection program is that you can get a complete schedule for your area just by putting in your address at the government’s website. Here is the web address: https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en/residents/property-owners-and-renters/trash-and-recycling/find-my-trash-collector-and-collection-schedule
Moreover, if your trash pickup doesn’t occur on the decided day, you should go at the https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en/residents/property-owners-and-renters/trash-and-recycling/actions/report-a-missed-trash-pickup web address for help.
Fee for trash pickup and recycling
The fee for trash pickup varies from item to item, which mainly depends on the sizes of the objects. Most of the items cost either $30 or $50 to be collected. Following is the list of all heavy items and the cost it takes for their collection.
Items that cost $30
- Steel door
- Bathroom sink
- Bathroom tub
- Bed frame
- Screen door
- Box spring
- 20 cardboard boxes
- Lawn mower
- Dining chairs
- Exercise machine
- Coffee table
- Entertainment centre
- Carpet (Get Rid of it for free)
- Love seat
- Barbq grill
- Bathroom toilet
- Sectional sofa
- Side table
- 10 bags of solid waste
- Swing set
- Wood door
Items that cost $50
- Water softener
- Clothes dryer
- Washing machine
- Commercial large appliances
- Unit air conditioner
- Conventional oven
- Electrical stove
- Gas stove
- Microwave over
- Stove induction
- Hot water heater
Recyclable materials which are to be thrown in the blue can include all kinds of paper materials including newspapers, useless mail and other forms of paper. Aluminium cans can be recycled as well but you have to make sure that the cans are empty and do not contain any liquid or food first.
Note that we are only mentioning aluminium cans and not foil since aluminium foil cannot be thrown in the blue containers. All the plastic bottles which are free of any kinds of liquid can be recycled as well. Other metal cans like those used for animal foods, cardboard material, paperboard stuff and clean jars can also be given for recycling.
Materials which can be recycled but are not supposed to be thrown in the blue containers include dangerous household waste, electronic items like ovens, toasters, irons etc. clothing material, alkaline batteries, plastic bags, construction material like concrete, cooking material like oils, medicines and things made out of rubber.
Items to be thrown in Trash
Items which should be thrown in garbage (grey container) include broken mirrors, windows and other small glass items, all kinds of food residue, artificial plants, wet paper items, snack wrappers, ropes, and diapers.
Waste Disposal Facilities
There are several waste disposal facilities in Hillsborough County where you can dispose of solid waste. These include
- Alderman’s Waste Disposal Facility – can be accessed in order to dispose of large items like electronics and to recycle material.
- Northwest County Solid Waste Facility – can be accessed for recycling stuff, dropping off garbage, heavy items, things made out of wood, and electronics.
- Southeast County Landfill – throw garbage here.
- Sheldon Road Household Hazardous Waste Facility – only throw radioactive and dangerous items here.
- Wimauma Solid Waste Facility – send recyclable items, electronics, paints and other heavy items.
- South County Solid Waste Facility – you can throw all your trash here, recycle items, and also send bulky items.
- Hillsborough Heights Solid Waste Facility – you can throw all your household radioactive or dangerous substances, recycle items, and also send bulky items here.
- Resource Recovery Facility – it is used by other commercial facilities to throw the waste.
Instructions for Hillsborough County residents
Hillsborough County residents, who have signed up for this program or are going to do it in the future, should have the following things in mind.
- If you have scheduled a pickup and it’s a public holiday, you’ll have to wait for the next day to get your things done.
- Items like antifreeze agents, pool chemicals, fire extinguishers etc which are found in houses should be sent to the waste facilities.
- Throwing trash on streets is considered illegal and will result you in paying a fine.
- Items like electronics which can be repaired should be donated to help others.