The city holds its trash collection program very effectively, and helps its residents get rid of all their unwanted household trash, in addition to the recycling waste, yard waste and bulky items.
Following article contains all the details about the Columbus trash schedule.
Columbus Trash Pickup Schedule
Trash or garbage collection in the city of Columbus takes place on a weekly basis. But the days every street gets its trash collected might be different from many others.
So how would you know which day is your street’s designated collection day? Easy! Here’s how:
- There is a trash collection tool introduced by the city, and you just have to enter your street name and address in the search bar to know your complete schedule.
- Many of the residents are given a certain color which specifies their trash collection day. The city is divided in various regions and each zone has been given a different color. These zones are ruby, gold, navy, pink, and gray.
- Each colored region has been given a different hotline number to contact, and through this number, the residents can know their collection days.
- Ruby customers can call (614) 645-RUBY (7829)
- Gold customers can call (614) 645-GOLD (4653)
- Navy customers can call (614) 645-NAVY (6289)
- Pink customers can call (614) 645-PINK (7465)
- Gray customers can call (614) 645-GRAY (4729)
Columbus Trash Collection Map
Click on the map below to view Columbus Trash Schedule:
Columbus Trash Pickup Phone Number
In case you are facing any problems regarding identifying your trash collection day, you can check out the above hotline numbers and call at the one which is designated for your region.
Secondly, if your trash cart has been broken or stolen, you can contact the government immediately by dialing 311 or (614) 645-3111. Call at the same number if you find any other problems regarding your trash cart.
Columbus Ohio Trash Holidays
Following are the public holidays observed in the city which may affect your trash schedule. You can check out your complete rotating holiday schedule from here. Note that recycling and yard waste schedule is affected from all the following days except Veterans day.
- New Year’s Day – January 1, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Martin Luther King Day – January 16, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Presidents Day – February 20, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Memorial Day – May 29, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Juneteenth – June 19, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Independence Day – July 4, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Labor Day – September 4, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Veterans Day – November 10, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Thanksgiving Day – November 23, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
- Christmas Day – December 25, 2023 – No collection takes place. The schedule is shifted to the next day till the end of the week.
Columbus Recycling Schedule
A large number of recyclables are thrown in the landfills each year, which result in an increased number of waste and pollutants being released into the environment. This is the reason curbside recycling in Columbus takes place to reduce as much waste as possible.
If you are confused about what can be recycled in the city, check out this waste wizard tool by the city.
Recycling pickup takes place weekly in Columbus. Recycling collection usually takes place one or more days after your trash collection day.
The day varies from street to street, so it’s better to look at your recycling schedule. Check out this recycling calendar to get rid of your recyclables on time.
Columbus Bulk Pickup Schedule
Bulk collection does not take place according to any specific schedule in Columbus, Ohio.
Instead, the residents have to get rid of bulky or heavy waste like furniture and appliances by scheduling a bulk pickup appointment first. This can be done by calling 311 or (614) 645-3111.
In case your bulk waste is very large, you need to inform the crew by calling the same numbers beforehand.
Bulk items include furniture, mattresses, carpet, and appliances without freons etc. Note that furniture in good condition is advised to be donated instead of throwing it to get rid of your household items.
Get Rid of these Bulky Items For Free by reading our guides:
Columbus Yard Waste Pickup Calendar
Yard waste in Columbus is collected on the same days as your recycling collection days. However, yard waste is collected after every other week in the city.
Find out about your yard waste collection days from this trash, recycling and yard waste schedule calendar: https://new.columbus.gov/Services/Trash-Recycling-Bulk-Collection/Find-My-Collection-Day
If you are unable to find your yard waste collection schedule from the calendar, call at (614) 645-3111 to know about your pickup days.
One can place leaves, shrubs, twigs, small tree branches (less than four inches in diameter), and grass clippings as yard waste.
Columbus Ohio Hazardous Waste Disposal
Household hazardous waste materials like drain cleaners, bleach, fluorescent bulbs, pesticides, fertilizers, motor oil, antifreeze, batteries, adhesives, paints etc are not collected from the curbside as these are toxic substances and are injurious in many ways. So, the residents are advised to take these items to hazardous waste facilities.
Take the hazardous items to the facility located at 645 E. 8th Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43201. You can call there through their number 614-294-1300 and have more information about the facility from here.
Moreover, there are hazardous waste collection events in Ohio, in which you can get rid of all your hazardous waste items. The nearest collection events from now are:
- May 6 in Dublin – 8 am to 2 pm
- September 23 in Grove City – 8 am to 1 pm
- October 7 in Westerville – 8 am to 2 pm
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I schedule a trash pick up in Columbus Ohio?
Although the trash schedule takes place once every week in Columbus, Ohio, you can schedule a pickup if you have missed your weekly garbage collection by calling at 311 or (614) 645-3111.
How do I contact City of Columbus trash?
The department responsible for managing trash pickups and carrying out all the tasks related to the city’s trash collection can be contacted by dialing 311 or (614) 645-3111.
Columbus Ohio Trash Schedule
Trash and recycling collection takes place once a week in Columbus, Ohio. yard waste is collected biweekly, on the same days as the recycling collection days, and bulk pickup takes place by appointment only.
Household hazardous waste must be taken to facilities or collection centers to get rid of them. For more information regarding the Columbus trash schedule, call at 311 or (614) 645-3111.
See What To Do If You Miss Trash Day in Columbus.