South Fayette is a township located in the state of Pennsylvania, USA. It does not cover a very large area but has an extensive trash collection program just like the other cities located in the country.
The program covers all the aspects like street cleaning, garbage collection, bulk waste pickup etc. If you are a South Fayette Township resident, here are the following things you should know about this program.
South Fayette Trash Pickup Timings
Trash pickup in South Fayette takes place regularly after every one week. To find your trash collection schedule, look at the pickup calendar given at the government’s website https://www.southfayettepa.com/calendar.aspx.
Your garbage cans must be filled and placed in front of your houses before 6 am as the collection starts after it. Make sure you remember your pickup day after checking the calendar regularly.
Trash holidays in South Fayette
Trash collection takes place according to the schedule, but it may sometimes change due to extreme weather conditions or at some of the public holidays declared by the government.
Following are the national holidays one need to keep in mind as no trash collection will take place on these days and the schedule will shift to the next day.
- New Year’s Day – January 1
- Memorial Day – Last Monday of May
- Independence Day – Fourth of July
- Labor Day – First Monday of September
- Thanksgiving Day – Fourth Thursday of November
- Christmas Day – December 25
South Fayette Recycling Schedule
Recycling every item possible leads to a better environment and this should be practiced by every resident. The things which can be recycled in South Fayette Township include dry paper products like simple paper, newspapers, magazines and other such stuff, cardboards and electronics. Recyclable electronics, too, should be taken to a drop-off location.
Following things should not be placed in the recycling container in South Fayette Township, but should be taken to a landfill.
- Plastic no. 3 to 7
- Glass products
- Food and drink cans
- Daily household garbage
- Household hazardous waste products
South Fayette Bulk Trash Pickup Schedule
Learn about bulk schedule at: https://southfayettepa.com/394/TVs-Computers-Electronics
Bulk waste includes the goods which are too large and heavy to fit inside a regular trash cart. These things require a separate pickup and one has to schedule a pickup for bulk waste unlike the other trash.
Bulk waste includes rugs and carpets, washers, dryers, furniture like chairs, sofas and tables, heaters, air conditioners (after CFCs have been removed), refrigerators (without refrigerants), lumber, scrap metals, pipes etc.
Things not included in Bulk waste
Following things should NOT be placed along with the bulk trash.
- Books, magazines and other recyclable goods
- Household dangerous waste like wet paints and varnishes
- Yard waste like tree branches and grass
- Plastic bags
- Dirt, stones and bricks
- Industrial waste like concrete and cement
- Household waste which is to be thrown in the trash cans
Household Hazardous Waste
Hazardous waste items are the ones which can cause an explosion or catch fire easily etc. These things should be contained in their original container and must be placed inside a solid box before throwing them in any cart.
Some of the examples of household hazardous waste are paints, pesticides and insecticides, swimming pool chemicals, furniture polish, fireworks and other explosives, mercury, acids, brake fluid, photographic chemicals, medications, fertilizers, varnishes, wood stain, toner, lead, gas cylinders, kerosene, gasoline, glues and adhesives, and shoe polish etc.
Landfill service in South Fayette Township
Landfills are the places where one can take his waste to dispose of it. Also all the electronics and recyclable materials can be recycled there. You can visit WM – South Hills Landfill, WM – Arden Landfill, or any other which you find the nearest to your house. Note that plastic bags should not be placed inside the recycling cart and must be taken to a landfill or drop off location.
South Fayette residents, listen up!
Everything aside, there are some simple rules one has to keep in mind while living in South Fayette Township.
- Bulk trash should be placed at its place before 6 am on the collection week.
- Your house address should be clearly written on all the trash containers you have placed outside for garbage pickup so that your containers don’t get mixed up with others.
- You can request another garbage can by calling the department if the previous one has been broken or is lost.
- Yard waste, if being placed inside the garbage can, should be small enough to let the bin’s lid closed.
- Throwing garbage on the streets and roads is not allowed and should not be practiced by the citizens.
- Your trash cans should not be overfilled with the garbage items, as it can result in garbage being thrown on the streets.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Recap – South Fayette Trash Schedule
South Fayette is a small Township but their trash management program is just the same as in the other cities. In case of any problem or query, one can contact the waste department by calling 1-800-866-4460.
Every item should be sorted out by category first and then placed inside their respective carts. Know your pickup day and get rid of all your waste easily.